Prep for 100 point King Arthur test
Study: Vocab, Story, Notes, and Blog
Why Does Arthur gather his knights around a round table?
Because he doesn’t want to get cornered!
1. In the beginning of King Arthur, things are not good
Something is wrong with the societal welfare and the hero fixes it
2. The Quest for the Holy Grail
3. The clash of cultures
a. England is inhabitant by indigenous cultures, original pagan society was matriarchal, the woman who leads it is the Lady of the Lake
b. They have a magical land made up of mist, called Avalon
c. When a male patriarchal society whose religion is Christianity comes along and disrupts
d. They make a peace treaty to rule equally, but the Christian ruler went back on his word.
e. The pagan society revolted and in a large battle the Christian ruler
f. With his dying with the ruler thrusts his sword into the anvil and says the next great ruler will be able to pull the sword from the anvil
4. There is a civil war, a king, who is married to morgana fights against him
5. In battle Arthur breaks the sword and needs a new one
6. King Arthur is the Stag King, they get drunk and trip, they bring into his hut a woman with whom he has relations, The woman he impregnates is his half sister morgana
7. Gallahan, becomes a knight, and he can sit in siege perilous, only he can sit in that chair because he is pure (without sin)
8. When Gallahan sits in his seat, they see the holy grail, they go on a mission to find the grail
9. This search represents the search for moral completion Does the holy grail represent death/heaven
10. Lancelot does not get to see the grail because he didn’t want to see the grail for the mission but for Guinevere
a. He didn’t do the deeds, for the deeds sake, he did it for Guinevere
11. Lancelot and Arthur are best friends but Guin is in love with Lancelot, but when time while Arthur is away they sleep together. They’re honest with him, and they have a three-way deal. Since its against Christianity they have to stop
12. “Lancelot Seeks to conquer Lancelot” Hes trying to evade what he did/be self surpassing
1. Jousting: Knight fight
2. Chivalry: Courtesy, ideal quality of knight
3. Dismay: Disappointment, sudden surprise
4. Stern: strict
5. Embellish: to beautify
6. Scabbard: a sheath your sword
7. Conjurer: Magician
8. To pay homage: to respect
9. Tempest: a hell of a bad storm
1. Who is Arthurs father?
a. Uthra Pendragon, but he is a foster child
2. How does he prove he will be king
a. He pulls the sword out of the anvil
3. How did that come about?
a. Sir Kay didn’t have a sword so Arthur goes
4. How does Sir Antoine react?
a. He makes sir Kay try and pull the sword out- he cant
5. Who gives Arthur Excalibur?
a. The lady of the lake,
6. What does Merlin ask Arthur if he likes one more than the other, what are those two things?
7. What’s the symbolism of those two objects?
a. He is asking if he prefers war or peace
8. What magical property does the sheath have?
a. While in battle with the sheath, you will not spill a drop of blood
9. What does the sword say on it?
10. What is the round table?
a. A gift given to him by Leodegrance, a round table
11. Leodegrance sends 100 men and merlin provides 28
12. Why is the Siege Perilous, perilous?
13. Who completes the round table?
14. Who brings Gallahad?
15. What is the Holy Grail?
a. A cup used at the last supper
b. What does it represent? Moral perfection
16. What does the Round Table represent?
17. How is this myth different from Greek myths?
a. They’re aided by magic not gods
b. Women aren’t treated less fairly
c. Christianity and moral purity
d. Revenge is less of a motivating factor