“The Bean Trees” Notes
· Today’s assignment for EuroLit:
o Finish “Demian” chapter eight
o Possible pop quiz tomorrow
· Today’s assignment for English 9 Honors:
o Finish reading “The Bean Trees”.
o Prepare for the 200-point test tomorrow (05/25/18).
· What is the external conflict question?
o Can Taylor keep Turtle from being taken away help Esperanza and Estevan?
· Internal conflict question:
o Can Taylor make a decision about helping Turtle, Esperanza, and Estevan?
· Chapter 12: Into the Terrible Night
o Taylor’s “empty despair” is from seeing the ugliness of the world when Turtle is attacked (179).
o Lou Ann tells Taylor to fight back against the empty despair.
§ Taylor ignores Lou Ann’s advice, saying, “I’m just not up to the job”.
· None of us feel up to taking on the world alone.
· Chapter 13: Night-Blooming Cereus
o Lou Ann responds by saying that “it’s the only other world that we’ve got”(185).
§ “You live in that world”(143).
o Page 187: Internal conflict question: “Do I want to try…”
§ Taylor questions if she even wants to raise Turtle as her own.
§ “So how does a person make a decision that important?”
· Most people don’t decide, but they have to make a choice.
o Page 190: “I thought that ought to be your decision”-Cynthia
§ Cynthia is the social worker.
o The internal conflict resolution: “Listen, I’ve made up my mind about something… I’m going to see if I can find any of Turtle’s relatives”(192).